Friday, August 26, 2011

LOVING AND CARING

Are you familiar with the little book entitled A Touch of Wonder by Arthur Gordon? It contains a collection of heart warming experiences. It is a little paper back book that we have had at our house for years but I just recently discovered it. 

In Arthur Gordon's book he recalls an occasion when he and his siblings were going through the attic of the home where his family had lived for generations. They were to clean it out and get rid of a lot of stuff that had collected there through the years. He thought there might be some treasures there that were very valuable but it turned out to be a lot of junk. He did, however, find value in some old letters he found there. That value was value of the heart which is the best kind. He describes so much better than I ever could, so I'll use his words here.

Speaking of value, he says, "I found it in the letters, a whole trunkful of them. Most of them were written in faded ink and grimy with the dust of decades. . . .  It was like listening to voices, faint and far away, echoing down the corridor of time. The letters were never about great historical events. They weren't passionate love letters either. They simply chronicled the lives of ordinary people. . . . The people of those generations cared about one another, enormously and intimately. . . . In a hundred different ways they spoke of their love and admiration for one another, and you could feel their sincerity warm on the brittle paper:

You don't know how much your visit meant to each of us! When you left I felt as if the sun had stopped shining.

The courage with which you are facing your difficulties is an inspiration to all of us. We haven't the slightest doubt that in the end you will triumph over all of them.
Have I told you lately what a wonderful person you are? Never forget how much your friends and family admire you.
 I'm afraid that in our hurry up, hustle bustle, TV, internet, etc. etc. etc. world today that we have lost some of the "caring" that former generations demonstrated. I'm happy to find that a lot of that warmth and caring is demonstrated here in blogland. This was especially evident in the interest that was shown in Charlie and the Miracle Makeover blog party. I was really touched by all the wonderful comments that were made.
We know how important love is to God. These are just a few of the scriptures pointing out that fact.
  1. John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
    John 13:33-35 (in Context) John 13 (Whole Chapter)
  2. John 13:35
    By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
    John 13:34-36 (in Context) John 13 (Whole Chapter)
  3. Romans 12:10
    Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.
    Romans 12:9-11 (in Context) Romans 12 (Whole Chapter)
  4. Romans 13:8
    Love Fulfills the Law ] Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
    Romans 13:7-9 (in Context) Romans 13 (Whole Chapter)
Please click HERE to go to the Spiritual Sundays blog. It continues to be a blessing to many. I'm happy that so many are sharing there.


18 comments:

  1. I loved this post, especially since I have found old books 'lost' in my house that I have treasured, and, I just recently read some old letters written by my Grandmother in the 1950's to a distant relative. She talked about very mundane things, but what a look into the past of a 50's housewife!!! Totally amazing.

    Great scriptures on love!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too. Joel and I have kept letters we wrote to each other 43 yrs ago...I hope some day our grandchildren find them a testimony to our love and faith....So little is written now days..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a handwritten letter. Thank you for reminding me of one of the reasons I consider blogging to be a blessing - the caring friends I meet along the way. And thank you again for Spiritual Sundays.
    Blessings,
    Vilisi

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's funny how words our words have power...spoken or written.....I'm thankful for you and for Ginger...and for SS. Have a great weekend and stay safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very true. Thank you for sharing such insightful thoughts.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those treasures warm our hearts. I think many times we think we need to bless someone in a big way for it to be viable. Instead, many times it's the quiet words, gentle hug, or sweet smile that warms our heart.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love is everything, isn't it? So thankful that our God IS love. Thanks for sharing the story and the scriptures. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right about the past generations expressing warmth and love in their friendship. This sounds like a really good book. I think I should read it too. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hand written letters carry our hearts to those receiving them. When I read notes that my Mom wrote years ago--even recipes--they touch my heart. It's like having part of her even though she is with the Lord.

    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome points Charlotte. And like you, I see so many examples of God showing His love through others - both on and off-line. The methods being used may be different, but God is still using us in a variety of ways and what joy there is in that. :) Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post touched my heart. I know that I am way to busy for my own good.
    Hugs and Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cherish those kinds of things...hand written letters from the heart. Oh how I wish we would slow down and touch one another's lives as we pass.
    I enjoyed reading your post...thank you!
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Charlotte:

    What a truly beautiful post. Those sweet sentiments, so authentic and heartfelt, mean so much when committed to paper. They are caught in a form that becomes real. Words said are fleeting.... letters last. Thank-you for the beautiful scriptures too. The love of Jesus and God are the thing. That love expressed in actions and words is the best way to convey faith, for me.

    Thanks for your elegance and friendship. For the gentle way you bring inspiration to the world.

    HSS!

    Kelee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Charlotte, these are beautiful!! And I love your blog and blog header--they look amazing!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I do feel the sincere "loving and caring" of blogger-friends who come to visit, exchanging heartwarming and encouraging comments to one another, esp. at Spiritual Sundays.
    But I do still love to send cards to friends, loved ones, and sisters-in-Christ. That's why I've boxes of lovely cards always in-stock. I've written about it in my blog under Homemaking page: "Love Through Cards". I love to send and receive cards and letters the old-fashioned way :-).

    A blessed week,
    Rina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful post. I just finished writing thank you notes by hand, and I thought how time consuming and slightly silly when I can just send out a mass e-mail. But then.. I realized there is something so sincere in writing them by my hand with ink and mailing them off.

    Thank you for sharing this post.

    Blessings,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  17. I needed to be reminded of those "love" scriptures. I am seeing more and more that when I am at the feet of Jesus, He fills me with love that is incapable to being harsh and cruel to others. I need more and more of that Jesus love to fill and pour forth from my life....thank you!! ~alice

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my Charlotte. Funny to read this as I have just read letters my Mom wrote in the 50's that my sister and brothers found. We laughed at the slow pace then and treasured her words that revealed so much about her. I can relate to this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte