Saturday, January 23, 2010

SPIRITUAL SUNDAYS

I remember my husband using the following illustration in a sermon many years ago. I just ran across it in a book I am reading and wanted to share it with you today.

The phone rang in a high society Boston home. On the other end of the line was a son who had just returned from Viet Nam and was calling from California. His folks were the cocktail-circuit, party kind -- drinking, wife-swapping, gambling, all the other things that go with it. The boy said to his mother, "I just called to tell you that I wanted to bring a buddy home with me." His mother said, 'Sure, bring him along for a few days.' "But, mother, there is something you need to know about this boy. One leg is gone, one arm's gone, one eye's gone, and his face is quite disfigured. Is it all right if I bring him home?"

His mother said, "Bring him home for a few days." The son said, "You didn't understand me, mother. I want to bring him home to live with us." The mother began to make all kinds of excuses about embarrassment and what people would think. . . and the phone clinked.

A few hours later the police called from California to Boston. The mother picked up the phone again. The police sergeant at the other end said, "We just found a boy with one arm, one leg, one eye and a mangled face, who has just killed himself with a shot in the head. The identification papers on the body say he is your son."
- Dale E. Galloway, Rebuild Your Life



I can't even begin to imagine how that mother must have felt when she found out it was her son. Isn't it wonderful to know that if we are a child of God he knows everything about the condition we are in and he accepts us. Not only that but one day all the deformities will be taken away. I love what Joni Eareckson Tada says about it. She is so looking forward to walking, running and jumping again. But for now, she thanks God that she has the problems she has. What a great lesson for all of us.

I hope you will visit our Spiritual Sundays blog to share with us there or just to click on the links there to read what others have shared and be blessed. Here is the link: http://bloggerspirit.blogspot.com/

21 comments:

  1. Goosebumps ... tears - what a powerful message, Charlotte ... how I'm humbled by His love!

    Blessings,
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very moving and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful illustration that is Charlotte. I am so thankful that the Lord takes me as I am.

    BTW, Loren of The Magoo News wrote something so beautiful for her Spiritual Sunday post and mentioned you. Thought you'd like to know. I'm honored to have had the pleasure of meeting you in person and sittig beside you at our luncheon this summer.

    Much is going on in my home including a move (still in the general Phoenix area). I'll have to email you privately about this.

    Love and blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charlotte, That is so powerful and thought-provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlotte,
    I have heard this before and it still moves me to tears. I am so thankful He loves me just the way I am. Thank you for sharing and have a lovely Sunday, dear friend. Praying for you!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Charlotte,
    I love that story, I have read it many times!!!! I also love Joni and her paintings!!!!
    None of us are perfect and we all have things about us, so we must LOVE everyone and make every person feel special and LOVED!!!!
    Great story!!!!
    hugs,
    jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sad story, but a powerful message. I read Joni's books when I was newly married years ago. They had a profound effect on my life and I remember her lessons to this day. God used her in such a tremendous way. Thanks for sharing this, Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlotte,

    I have never heard that before ~ what a moving story.. I can't even imagine. I am so thankful for the Lords love, acceptance for us no matter what! HIS love is so healing.

    May you have a blessed weekend my friend

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a sad story. But I'm glad you reminded us of how much God loves us and accepts us. I had sustained this neck injury many years ago from work. Whenever i feel the pain [like now], I always think about the future glory we have in the Lord. Glory to God!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are always welcome at the Father's house, regardless of our scars and missing limbs. Beautiful thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH My Gosh, that is so sad~~~I can't even imagine the pain of the mom or the son.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this powerful post, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great lesson indeed. I hadn't heard that story before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this, Charlotte. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That story touches me every time I hear it. It is a great discussion starter as to how our God accepts us with all our problems.

    Have a wonderful Sunday.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  16. Charlotte,
    This really made me tear up...loved it!




    Hugs,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a powerful story! Wow.

    Have a blessed week.
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - what a powerful post. I'm so thankful that God takes us just as we are.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is heartbreaking. I'm glad I'm not like that mother and I pray none of you are. Thank you for the message. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with your first commenter and all the rest. Thank you so much for sharing this story!!!
    Have a blessed week, and thank you and Ginger, once again for Spiritual Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very Sad Story, I am glad that God loves us so much ,Jesus dies for us just as we are , but when we accept that gift, he does not leave us that way. He is a Great God !
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte