When I was little we used to play church. We'd get chairs in rows, fight over who'd be preacher, vigorously lead the hymn singing, and generally have a great carnal time.
The aggressive kids naturally wanted to be up front, directing or preaching. The quieter ones were content to sit and be entertained by the up-fronters.
Occasionally we'd get mesmerized by a true sensationalistic crowd-swayer--like the girl who said, "Boo! I'm the Holy Ghost!" But in general, if the upfronters were pretty good, they could hold their audience quite a while. If they weren't so good, eventually the kids would drift off to play something else--like jump rope or jacks.
Now that generation has grown up, but most of them haven't changed too much. Every Sunday they still play church. They line up in rows for the entertainment. If it's pretty good, their church may grow. If it's not too hot, eventually they'll drift off to play something else--like yachting or wife swapping.
- Anne Ortlund, Up with Worship
So what is the "point" of this post? I think we need to examine ourselves and decide if we are serious about loving and worshipping God and giving Him our lives, or just playing church, or just playing at religion.
I hope you will visit our Spiritual Sundays blog and share with us there or just go there, click on the links and be inspired by what others have shared. Click HERE to go there. I'm so pleased that over 100 people now follow that blog. My prayer is that God will continue to use it in this new year to bless many people.

Charlotte, this is a good question to ask. I used to play church while growing up with my dolls so they couldn't talk back. I was the teacher and preacher; LOL. But there amongst them sat my little sister Christine who is 7 years younger than me. :)
ReplyDeleteI am reading a book by Anne Ortlund called "Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman". eLisa of Extravagant Grace is hosting a week of "Living Intentionally". She is helping us set priorities and goals for 2010 using a guide based on Anne's book.
BTW, I think you know Sonja of "bits & pieces". She knew the Ortlund's. She told me that Ray Ortlund spoke at her father's funeral. Small world, isn't it?
Happy New Year to you and Clif.
Love,
Debbie
WOW~This is powerful,so many times I feel like I'm just playing church and going through the motions. It's mostly this time of year too. Maybe because I'm so tired from the extra work that needs to be done at work and at home,I don't know that could be just a excuse. Regardless I need my heart to be with God daily not just on Sunday. Charlotte I will keep you in my prayers daily. I hope that you feel much better so they can go ahead with the surgery.
ReplyDeleteThank-you for this post today,
Ginger
OH~~~I forgot to tell you how pretty your blog looks. It will be fun to see all the different changes that people make on their blogs this time of year.
ReplyDeleteTake care and hugs,
Ginger
So, after I quit laughing at the image of that little girl going, "Boo!" ...
ReplyDeleteI paused to reflect, then give thanks for those circumstances which propelled me out of the playground.
Thank you ... bless you!
Myra
What a great post. It is easy to go through the motions sometimes, but our walk with the Lord should always be HOT ... not luke warm.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
Beth
"So what is the "point" of this post? I think we need to examine ourselves and decide if we are serious about loving and worshipping God and giving Him our lives, or just playing church, or just playing at religion..."
ReplyDeleteThought provoking! I think that can be one of the best goals for this new year. God bless you. May He cover you with His strength, healing, comfort and grace.
A good question to ask ourselves. I think we all find ourselves
ReplyDelete"playing" at church once in a while. Thanks for the reminder and the excellent article.
xo...Kathy
This post really makes one think!!
ReplyDeleteI have a prayer request on arise 2 write.
andrea
Charlotte, I let out a laugh as I read your post and in the end take it quite seriously. I choose to follow Jesus. I wouldnt ever take the chance of playing in someone elses playground. Over the years my Savior has wooed me and taken a broken woman and begun to make me whole. Thank you for a beautiful post this week. God bless you!
ReplyDeleteCharlotte,
ReplyDeleteI attend church because I want to spend time in His house with Him. Believers come together to draw strength from Him and from each other. What a wonderful, thought provoking post...
Hugs,
Jean
This was such a thought provoking post. As a little girl, "playing" church was definitely one of my favorite games. My sister and I would divide up our little sisters and brothers and herd them in and start the game. How many times over the course of my life have I "played" church? Do I still play at it today? A lot to think about. Thanks for sharing this. Blessings, Debbie
ReplyDeleteHi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI don't remember playing church as a child, but remember my kids did when they were little. They would pretend to be the preacher and lay hands upon someone head and pray. Oh how they can mimick the adults in church. Sometimes we think they are not paying attention, but they are lol. You're blog is beautiful!!
Hugz Lorie
Hi Charlotte, this is an awesome post. It's sort of similiar to what I posted...about being all He wants. I don't ever want to 'play church.' Sarah
ReplyDeletegreat exhortation! I find myself wondering who is playing church a lot. Then I remember I'm the one God will judge, me alone, what other people are doing will have no bearing on MY judgment day. Great post!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting and challenging post!
ReplyDeleteYes,I decided years ago to stop playing Church and be the Church . I do not just set aside one day of the week to play Church and then the rest of the week live like the world . Jesus is the Lord of my life every day. My goal in life (& of course I fail miserably sometimes) is to do all things as unto him . I am a sinner saved by Grace , I do all things through Christ who strengthens me . This does not mean I can do anything my heart desires , but what things he gives me strength to do. I found out a long time ago there is a difference .Also, There will be a difference here from other people may think you should do.
ReplyDeleteGreat Post!
Blessings in the New Year!
~Myrna
I don't remember playing church but that is a very good question.
ReplyDeleteGod deserves our very best praise and worship!
Christi @ A Southern Life
I think sometimes many of us do play church. We really need to examine our motives for going to church. Great post.
ReplyDeletecindy
A very good post, Charlotte ~
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, Charlotte! I'd never heard that one before, but it sure touched me.
ReplyDeleteLife has gotten quite hectic with out-of-town company and a wedding this afternoon. I'm so sorry that I linked in so late.
Charlotte, this spoke to me in many ways. The Apostle Paul spoke of self-examination often, to make sure we were still in the faith. I think we need to do this, because we can so easily fall into the trap of "ease" and complacency with out devotion to God.
ReplyDeleteI read Ginger's comment about surgery...I haven't been keeping up, so don't know what is happening, but I want to go back and read your posts, and will be praying for you, whatever the need may be.
God bless...and happy new year!
Mary
As always Charlotte, such a great post! I have always enjoyed Anne's writings, and this point is so true.
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing.
Oh! I just love your new blog design!
Blessings,
Sue
Beautiful post!
ReplyDeleteVery thought-provoking. God help me to not be guilty of playing church.
ReplyDeleteOn a lighter note, my sweet daughter loved playing church when she was a wee thing. I have the sweetest story about this. I'll have to share it one of these Sundays.
This post certainly brought back memories. I've heard my Mom and Dad talk about playing church when they were children, I grew up playing church with my sisters, my boys played church when they were little, and now my four grandaughters do as well. I loved the little excerpt from Ann Ortlund's book because as adults I think we sometimes do need to check ourselves to make sure we're not just going through the motions. Thanks for posting this today....it certainly is something I will meditate on during this first week of the year.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,Elaine
How about her ending? Wham! Ortlund is such a good writer and you are wise to feature this for us.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and praying,
Mary
Hello Charlotte, I never played church when I was small. I went to church a lot because our family was very involved in the activities of our church. My mom and dad were married in the same church. I remember the best of times there. I like your question... do we just play church? It is a good self searching question that we must examine. Thought provoking is a good thing.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and the best to you in 2010.
Hugs, Jeanne
A beautiful message to start the year!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year again.
Blessings.
Regina
Thanks for sharing, good points here.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post, Charlotte! To me, the Body of Christ is the Church. We can never fool God even if we try to fool people (play church). Sadly, some churches have turned into businesses or entertainment performances. I like what Leonard Ravenhill said: "I'm embarrassed to be part of the Church today because I believe it's an embarrassment to a holy God. Most of our joy is clapping our hands and having a good time and then afterwards we talk all the nonsense of the world. We're overboard on laughter and happiness...Because there isn't enough real joy in the house of God, we need entertainment. Entertainment is the devil's substitute for joy. Because there isn't enough power in the house of God, people are always looking for something to take its place. We point the finger at the world, but we need to turn to the Church and say we'd better all get sackcloth and ashes and humble ourselves and say "Almighty God!" When I see the Church in the New Testament, they didn't have stately buildings or paid evangelists or a lot of money. (They couldn't get on television and beg!) But I'll tell you what they did - they turned the world upside-down!
ReplyDeleteVery thoughtful, and thought-provoking post! I go to church to worship the Lord and to be with other Christians who love Him and each other, but it is sometimes so tempting to "play church."
ReplyDeleteThank you for the comment at my blog, I have something at my blog for you
ReplyDelete